HOW IS YOUR HEART DOING?
You do not have to convince anyone that the heart is important. If you have heart problems, you have life problems. You had better do something about it.
The heart, the muscle that beats in our chests, is incredible:
- our system of blood vessels – arteries, veins and capillaries – is over 60,000 miles long. That’s long enough to go around the world more than twice!
- The adult heart pumps about 5 quarts of blood each minute – approximately 2,000 gallons of blood each day – throughout the body.
- The heart beats about 100,000 times each day.
- In a 70-year lifetime, the average human heart beats more than 2.5 billion times
- An adult woman’s heart weighs about 8 ounces, a man’s about 10 ounces
- A child’s heart is about the size of a clenched fist; an adult’s heart is about the size of two fists
When our hearts fail, we die. It is the source of life.
But there is another source of life – the spiritual heart. The spiritual muscle.
In Proverbs “heart” is referred to often, but it is not the physical heart. It is the spiritual heart.
“Heart” is used over 1,000 times in the whole Bible and over 100 times in Proverbs, which is the highest percentage of any book in the Bible. “Heart” occurs in every chapter of Proverbs except three.
So I ask you “How is your heart…your spiritual heart?”
This is what we will be looking at from the Book of Proverbs this Sunday.