ARE YOU ANTI-CHRIST OR PRO-CHRIST?
What do you think is the greatest need of mankind?
- Probably most of us would say God. There is a need for revival and an awakening spiritually around the world. But others might say…
- Peace, because all we hear today are wars and rumors of wars.
- Love among our fellow men, because it is not just nations and religions who do not get along, but neighbors, families and friends are at one another’s throats.
- Education, because the lack of knowledge keeps people from advancing in society, finding a sustainable job, or being satisfied with life.
- Good leadership, because we all need trustworthy leaders out front, we all crave for heroes who set a standard higher than where we are, and without leaders the chaos of the mob will take over.
- Money, because that seems to be the bottom line with almost any solution we talk about in the world.
I think the Apostle John would say that the greatest need of mankind is to know the truth about Jesus Christ.
john has been giving tests so far in his First Epistle to reveal those who are genuine believers and those who are not:
- The test of living – I John 1:6 – “If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth.”
- The test of loving – I John 2:9 – “Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.”
- The test of not loving the world – I John 2:15 – “If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.”
This Sunday we come to a fourth test – the test of knowing the truth – I John 2:21 – “I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.”
A key to understanding First John is recognizing that these tests are gone over time and time again by John throughout the epistle. He will say in different words that we are to live godly lives, love one another, don’t love the world, and know the truth.
And in this passage the emphasis is on TRUTH. . . and it has to do with Jesus.
Are you anti-Christ or pro-Christ? I bet you will be surprised about how John talks about this.